Sometimes you just grab whatever you have on hand and create an awesome recipe, sometimes it comes out terrible, but this is one of the great ones! I am actually obsessed with this lasagna. I’ve remade it 3 times in the past month and a half! The sweet potato replaces the pasta and I added zucchini and cremini mushrooms (I wanted to keep it simple and not add to many veggies), so it’s vegetarian and gluten free. No bad for you carbs, all deliciousness.
- ½ Garnet Sweet Potato (pick a bigger, wide one)
- 2 c. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (1/2 of 16 oz bag)
- 3 tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 jar Marinara Sauce, 25 oz*
- 4-5 Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Zucchini, sliced
- ¼ tsp. Granulated Onion
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- * depending on the Marinara Sauce that you choose, you may want to add some garlic or other spices (don't add any extra salt!) if needed
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Wash and scrub the sweet potato well.
- Cut the sweet potato in half (width wise) and using a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the sweet potato, with skin on. You will need slices from the widest part of the sweet potato so cutting it in half first means you don't have to slice the entire potato (you can use the leftovers for something else!) You will only need about ½ of the sweet potato.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the sweet potato slices, boil for 3 minutes. Drain, remove slices and pat dry (just to remove excess water), set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl mix the granulated onion and pepper, set aside. Slice the zucchini and mushrooms, set aside.
- Grab the sweet potato slices and place at the bottom of a casserole dish, close enough for edges to touch and cover the bottom of the dish. (There will be some open space but cover most of it)
- Using ⅓ of the marinara sauce, spread over the sweet potato. Next, add some of the sliced zucchini and mushrooms on top of the sauce layer.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the onion/pepper mixture on top of the vegetable layer, then add ⅓ of the mozzarella, and finally 1 tbsp Parmesan.
- Repeat two more times to create 3 layers of sweet potato, sauce, veggies, spices and cheese.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, for 50 minutes. Cheese should be nicely browned when done.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 9 parts for portion size.
What I use:
WholeFoods 365 Grated Parmesan Cheese
WholeFoods 365 Shredded Mozarella (Part Skim) Cheese
WholeFoods 365 Organic Marinara Pasta Sauce