Healthier Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Recipe type: Main
- 2.5 -3 lbs Pork Loin (this is a leaner cut than the usual pork shoulder)
- 4 c. Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1-2 c. Water
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- Combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, onion powder, and sea salt in a small bowl. Take the entire spice mixture and evenly rub onto the pork loin, making sure to coat all sides.
- Place the pork in a slow cooker. Add the garlic and bay leaves, then pour the chicken stock and water into the slow cooker making sure that the pork is covered.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours. The pork should be soft enough to easily pierce with a fork.
- Remove the pork, place on a plate and let cool for about 5 minutes, then shred with a fork. The pork should easily fall apart.
- (Next steps are optional)
- In a large pan, heat ½ tbsp. olive or avocado oil.
- Place the shredded pork on the pan and pan fry over high heat until pork is partially crusty.
* When storing the pork carnitas leftovers, place pork into a container and add some of chicken stock reserves, from the slow cooker, to the pork to keep it moist and so it will not dry out when reheating. You should add enough to keep the pork moist, but it should not be swimming in the chicken stock.